Monday, March 9, 2009

Unsure (blog 6)

In Chapter 1, David Nye uses some ideas from James Beniger's The Control Revolution: Technological and Economic Origins of the Information Society. He mentions how we have opposable thumbs which made it easier for us to grasp and use tools and how during evolution our brains developed. David Nye's main focus on page 2 is to show how crucial the use of tools is to us. At the end of this paragraph he has given his source as James Beniger. If you follow it to the back of the book to the Notes, you can read the following, "2. I will not try to make this argument, but some scholars contend that the brain developed in interaction with tool use and therefore should be considered a human technology. See e.g. Beinger 1986, p. 9" (Technology Matters, p. 227). This really didnt make sense to me. Page 9 of Beinger's work that David Nye is referring to doesn't really concern David Nye. By that I mean, the same ideas are not really there. I kind of don't really see why Nye would even cite Beinger. Nye clears states in his note that he will not make the argument that the brain is a human technology but that is precisely what Beniger is talking about. I guess I just dont understand why Nye cited Beniger's work when, to me, it doesn't seem like he needed to. Also looking through his Notes, David Nye cites just people who gave him and idea or who inspired an idea of his, is this what we are supposed to do too?

No comments:

Post a Comment